The New Year is upon us and many of us are starting to take down the holiday decorations.
My New Years' goal is to take as much time and perfection that I spent on putting up all the decorations, and use that in taking it down also.
My girlfriend is an inspiration and suggested the following ideas to stay organized and reduce the clutter:
1. Take down all the decorations and gather them in a central place, such as the dining room table.
2. Clearly label the boxes or containers with highlighters or sharpies. Label each box with item and location that you usually place it when decorating.
3. You do not need expensive organization boxes for this. Gather plain boxes, such as ones from the liquor store and utilize the dividers. This helps to protect the holiday decorations from all being thrown into one big box.
4. Before you begin to wrap and put away.. downsize a bit. Ornaments that may have a broken piece or no longer mean anything sentimentally, could be either tossed or donated. If it is really hard to let go of sentimental items, pack them all in one box and label them accordingly.
~ another idea is to create a separate box for each child and store all their ornaments in it.
5. Once the lights are pulled off the tree or from outside, wrap the lights around a piece of cardboard that specifically states, whether from the Christmas Tree or outdoor decorations.
How you sort, label and store your decorations can make a big difference in the amount of space needed to store them away and the amount of enjoyment in putting them up again next year.
Happy New Year!
How to Choose Artwork for Your Home
4 days ago